What are the qualities you look for in a friend? Do you look for them to be sweet, loyal, funny? Picking a friendship is almost as important as picking your partner in a lot of ways, so you need to make sure you’re looking for the right things! There are so many different ways to define a “good friend”.
Our friends are platonic soulmates when picked correctly. If you’re anything like me your friends become your family and even so much more! They definitely become some of the most important people in our lives.
If you ask someone what quality they appreciate most in a friend you’ll hear different answers. Some people will tell you the thing they look for is a friend who’s always there for them. While others will say it’s the friend that’s there to lift their spirit or the friend that makes them feel good about themselves and some might even say it’s the friend who just makes them laugh. Some people want something as simple as a friend always down for an adventure or night out on the town.
I think the absolute best quality is a friend who is totally blunt. Someone who will tell you flat out what you need to know. No sugarcoating or tap-dancing around the truth. I am that friend and while I know not everyone is ready for it. But when you have that one “blunt” friend you know what you’re getting every single time. T
Honest friends know that the truth can sometimes be brutal, but for those honest people, you should never sugarcoat it. No matter how painful the truth can be, sometimes we need to hear it because that’s usually the right thing to do. Whether its something as trivial as if those jeans make your muffin to pop. Or as serious as calling out the abusive tendencies hidden in your relationship. Having someone who loves you enough to being totally honest with you can change the way you see the world.
People may call them blunt sometimes, but they’re the people who have our best interest at heart.
Always keep that in mind, it’s better to be told a harsh truth than being fed a sugar-coated sweet lie.
Here are 5 reasons why these ‘blunt’ friends are the best friends you could ever have:
1. They would NEVER lie to you, even though it could make you feel better. They don’t change their principle which is honesty, it’s just how they are and nothing they can do about it, so accept their brutality as it is and try to benefit from it. They realize that you deserve to know the truth and it’ll be served to you on a silver platter. They will expect the same from you!
2. Deep down in their heart, they truly care about you, much more than anyone else, and their love clearly shows through their actions and advice towards you. They are never saying things just to hurt you but rather to help you grow into your best self. They may have a different or a harsh way of expressing their emotions to you, but their intentions are pure and their heart in the right place.
3. 0% Sugarcoating. They can’t compromise with the truth, whatever the circumstances are, they will never waste time sugarcoating the harsh truth because they know it’s pointless. IN the long run hearing the truth is always the main objective. They just don’t beat around the bush, at all.
4. They’re not apology-phobic. If they did something wrong, you’ll hear the most sincere apology ever, they tell themselves the truth just like they do to you, they confront themselves with their mistakes, regret it, and sincerely want to make it up to you. It’s not that hard for them to own up to the bad behavior they want to grow from it too! Change doesn’t scare honest friends, they know it’s inevitable and they’re excited to explore it. They embrace every change that happens to them and make the most of it.
5. They know what they want. They know exactly what they want from life and believe that faith alone won’t make their dreams come true. They’re practical and they put in a lot of effort to achieve their goals in life. They are forthcoming because they don’t want to waste any time getting there. If they are being blunt with you its because they want you along for the ride.
Appreciate a good friend, even if they’re the ‘blunt’ type, they’ll always take you down the right path in life. Treasure them because they wouldn’t even be bothering with you if they didn’t treasure you. They don’t fake the little things and they wouldn’t fake that!